From: "Janice Grant" 
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 14:58:41 -0400
Subject: deferred standing

It has come to my attention that some instructors may be collecting doctor's
notes and then making a decision regarding deferred standing.

Please note carefully that ALL petitions must be APPROVED and have official
documentation attached to them.  Therefore, if an ARTS student whichs to
request deferred standing they bring the form to you for signature.  The
STUDENT then brings the deferred standing agreement to the Undergraduate Office
where we give the student a copy and give you a copy and forward the
appropriate copy to the Registrar's Office we also keep a copy for future

NOW, Faculty of Pure and Applied Science students must PETITION through Science
Academic Services.  These forms are available from the Registrar's Office and
will need some input from you (I believe).  The student returns the petition to
Science Academic Services and the petition is then taken to a COMMITTEE who
decides the fate of the petition.  You should receive a LETTER from Science
Academic Services as to the outcome of the petition.

In otherwords, if you don't have something in writing (either a copy of the
deferred standing agreement or a letter from Science Academic Services, the
student CANNOT write a deferred examination.

If you wish to set a specific date for any deferred exam(s), please note this
on the appropriate form where possible.

If you have any questions, please contact me.