Intermediate Statistical Models in S
The content of the course will be drawn mainly from Venables and
Ripley, Modern Applied Statistics with S-PLUS, 2nd ed., from Chambers
and Hastie, Statistical Models in S, and from materials from the S/Splus mailing list. We will consider:
Although this course is aimed at those who are acquainted with S-Plus,
the first hour will be spent on an overview of the basics
so the course should be accessible to novices.
- Programming in S: writing functions to extend regression,
creating your own diagnostics.
- Using object-oriented features to develop new graphics: a
somewhat static 3d graphics viewer.
- Categorical data analysis in Splus.
- Mixed effects models using nlme.
- Other topics according to the interests of the class.