Course: MATH 2560 3.0, Section C
ELEMENTARY STATISTICS I
General course information
Instructor and Course Coordinator
- Office: Ross S621
- Phone: 416-736-2100 ext 44645
- Office hours: TR 8:30 9:30 a.m.
- Tutorial hours in S110: TBA.
- Instructions on how to obtain access to the Gauss Lab S110.
Final Exam: December 13th, 7-10 p.m., Students in Section C should go to VH B
Time and location of classes
- TR 10:00-11:30, CLH E
Introduction to the Practice of Statistics
by David S. Moore and George McCabe,
Third Edition, Freeman Publisher.
Your final grade will be made up of the following components
- Assignments: 5% (the best three out of four)
- Tests: 40% (20% for each test)
- Final exam: 55%
Statistics Help Center
- The Statistics Tutorial Lab Stats Lab is located in Ross, S 525 and is open from Monday to Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m..
- There are Stats tutors in the Lab from 10:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.everyday..
- Beginning of classes: September 8th
- No classes on October 4th and 13th
- Last date to enrol in Winter Term
courses with permission of the
course instructor: September 22nd.
- Last day to drop a course without receiving a grade: November 11th.
- Classes end: December 6th
- Examination period: December 8-21.
Detailed Course Outline
- For some assignments, you will have to use some statistical software. We suggest either MINITAB or SAS
- You can download a 30-day demo of MINITAB from
- You can use the following two files to teach yourself how to use Minitab:
the Mini-Guide or a more complete guide , Minitab Guide.
Help from your tutor with Minitab
Your tutor Kirandeep Bumraw will be available in the Gauus Lab Ross S 110 to help you with Minitab on Tuesdays from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. every week.
Assignments and solutions
Some tips for Minitab
- To do two boxplots side by side, you can do the following. If you have
two data sets called C1 and C2
- Create a new column C3 by typing "stack C1-C2 C3"
- Create a column of indices C4 made up of "1"'s for the data points
corresponding to C1 and "2"'s for the data points corresponding to C2
- type "boxplot C3;"
- hit the return key
- type "by C4."
- The two boxplots should appear on the screen.