Re: Being unfair to dedicated people

Madeline Bauer (mbauer@usc.edu)
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 07:40:36

This starts to look like a poll -- I agree with Catherine & John, remember
the adage "If it works, don't FIX it!" In this case, any systems
administrator (a hat which most of us have to wear some of the time) would
weigh the good (the list WORKS), the (slightly) bad (a few hours delay),
and the possible ugly (some or a lot of disruption in making the transition
--- Murphy's law) ...

One more point -- 'instant turn around' may be a useful goal, but there
would still be a time delay between any question I post in California and
getting quite possibly the best answer from, say, southern Australia, just
because of the distance in time zones!

At 02:43 PM 1/16/98 -0800, Catherine Collins wrote:
>I agree with John Sorkin. My experience with the list is that it works
>very smoothly. Is it really that bad if it can take several hours for
>postings to reach the List?
>
>John Sorkin,410-558-8193,NIH/NIA/GRC,Baltimore,MD wrote:
>>
>> Lets wait one minute before we, the Splus list users, decide to move the
>> Splus listserver! Clearly there are a number of dedicated people at the
>> U of Toronto who have labored over the years to make the Splus list work.
>> We, the users, have no right to say that the listserver should be moved
>> without speaking to the people at U of T! They have invested time, money,
>> and effort that we should not forget. We all owe these pople who have
>> labored a debt of gratitude.
>>
>> John Sorkin

... Madeline Bauer, Ph.D. mbauer@usc.edu Infectious Diseases, 233 IRD
Voice, Messages, FAX: (213) 226-2775 2020 Zonal Ave, Los Angeles CA
90033