Re: File Naming in S-Plus

Nick.Ellis@marine.csiro.au
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 16:46:07 +1100

Shelby,
to move objects across machines use data.dump to put everything in
portable ascii format, put the file on the other machine and do
data.restore there.

Don't try to copy the splus files; their format is machine dependent.

Why the funny numbers? That's a throwback dos 8-character filenames.
Any object not fitting into the template aaaaaaaa.bbb is stored in
a file with a name like __59. There's a file ___nonfi that gives the
mapping between s names and dos names. Also the command true.file.name()
gives the name of the file containg the s object.

Nick
At 04:40 PM 1/20/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I have been very frustrated with the fact that S-Plus creates files
>like "__6" instead of the name of the object such as "bblik". The
>problem is that I want to move the file from one machine to another
>and this can't be done cleanly with the numbered file names. I
>can not figure out how to get S-Plus to save as "bblik" instead of
>"__6". I have some files that are named such as "dmi.fd.800" and
>I have imported some files from SAS via the File+Import approach.
>Could any of this have any relevance to the problem. Why does
>S-Plus use those psuedo number names anyway?

Nick Ellis
CSIRO Marine Research email Nick.Ellis@marine.csiro.au
PO Box 120 ph +61 (07) 3826 7260
Cleveland QLD 4163 fax +61 (07) 3826 7222
Australia http://www.marine.csiro.au