Moving the list

Alan Zaslavsky (zaslavsk@hcp.med.harvard.edu)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 22:36:37 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Z. Todd Taylor wrote:

> Let me add to the confusion by stating that I have never noticed
> the "several hour" delay under question. When I post a message,
> it virtually always comes back via the list within a few
> minutes. This may be good fortune owing to my location
> (northwestern U.S.), but even if this is so, could it suggest
> the delay others experience might relate to some cause other
> than the list server?

Our best guess at this point is that the delay is due to the amount of
time taken by the standard mailer to get from the beginning to the end of
the list, not a transmission delay. If that is the case, it is position
on the internal mailing list file, not physical location, that determines
the delay. We have heard enough testimonies from people (including
myself) in a variety of locations to establish that long delays are not an
idiosyncracy associated with a few particularly bad locations.

This discussion should really be pursued on the s-move list, but I will
just mention that there are at least TWO technical reasons for moving to a
site which has automatic list processing software installed: (1)
reduction of delays in re-sending, (2) automatic
subscription/unsubscription/digest format and automatic filtering of
obviously inappropriate messages (such as subscribe/unsubscribe requests)
sent to the list.