Re: [S] Error message, S+4 rel3

Mon, 9 Feb 1998 23:09:25 +0000 (GMT)

HumboltA@kochind.com wrote:

> I'd like to relay the experience we've had at Koch Industries related to
> Splus's Version 4.0 Release 3. It may help with others who have Badih's
> question. I'm still discussing this issue with Mathsoft to try to get a
> better understanding of the issues.
>
> I believe that Chuck Taylor, Mathsoft, already answered this question a
> week or two ago for those running vanilla Splus. His comments regarded
> the __sum4.txt and __sum4i.txt files in the local _Data directory.
>
> What we've learned is that old Version 3.3 libraries, which do not
> contain the __sum4.txt or __sum4i.txt files but only the __sum.txt file,
> could no longer be accessed by Version 4.0 users who applied the Release
> 3 update. Our fix was to invoke Splus from those directory locations so
> that Splus would create the __sum4.txt and __sum4i.txt files. At this
> point, both our V3.3 and V4.0 users were able to access the libraries.
>
> Here's our setup. We have a Koch-developed library called trading on a
> shared network drive, which I'll call t:, that everyone accesses via the
> following .First function.
> ".First"<- function() {
> assign("lib.loc", "t:\\spluswin\\library", where =3D 0)
> library(trading)
> }
>
> Most of our folks already had this .First file in a local _data
> directory on their PC. When they applied the Release 3 update, they got
> the error message
> Error: Cannot read summary data from summary filename
> t:\spluswin\library\trading\_Data/__sum4.txt
> This error didn't go away until I created the
> t:\spluswin\library\_Data\__sum4.txt and __sum4i.txt files on our shared
> network drive. I should mention that our libraries don't have any
> compiled C or Fortran code so we don't face those difficult issues. I
> know that Brian Ripley has done a nice job of making several statlib
> libraries accessible by both V3.3 and V4.0 users in such instances,
> though I don't understand much about how he accomplished this nice feat
> for us. But thanks much, Brian.

I seem to have less problem with this than other people: certainly
one problem is with NT sytems and permissions when the update is done.
On W95 my home directory got fixed during the upgrade: on NT it did not.

My strategy in building libraries is effectively to dump in __BIG
format, and copy the __BIG, __BIGIN and __db3.1 files to a new _Data
directory. I then

- start splus 3.3 in the parent of that directory, which creates __sum.txt
- start Splus4 somewhere else, use library(), then search to find the
number (usually 13) and run make.DB.summary(13) (or whatever). This
creates __sum4*.

Some caveats: (a) I don't have an object browser open by default.
(b) I usually use sqpe.exe for the Splus4 step.

I have only ever seen problems when a __sum4.txt existed. I've just
checked: I can use libraries without one quite happily.

You really don't want to see the scripts I use to build the V&R2 libraries!
They use all of perl, bash and batch files.

> Let me add that I was reluctant to use one Mathsoft proposed solution,
> data.dump and data.restore of the relevant library, because I didn't
> believe this would allow us easy access to all of our help files that
> tended to be created over time, as were the objects in the library. I
> suppose, in time, we could get these all re-sequenced; but that sounded
> like a lot of work. I think when Mathsoft proposed this solution to me
> they didn't really understand the finer points of my questions --
> probably a poor explanation to them on my part.

Actually, I think data.dump and data.restore is quite a good idea.
I take the point about help files (assuming these are nroff files
in _Data\_Help) but believe it is much better to build Windows help
files. I've crafted tools (with Mathsoft DAPD help) to build these
(spwinhlp.zip) and to use them (helpfix.zip on 3.3, part of 4.0).
So it is a long time since I worried about re-mapped names.