[S] FORTRAN Compilers

Erin Hodgess (hodgess@uhdux2.dt.uh.edu)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 20:43:09 -0600

Dear David:

Watcom is still the compiler for S+ 4.

I have Watcom FORTRAN Version 11, which is the latest
version, and it is still only FORTRAN 77.

The only snag from one compiler to the other that I have
found is the WRITE statement in FORTRAN....it
won't work in S+. If your routines use WRITE, or PRINT,
they will compile, but they won't run in S+.

The way around that is to use the CALL REALPR for reals,
CALL INTPR for integers, or CALL DBLEPR for double precisions.

Please check your S+ help for more info on those.

Everything else should be ok.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Erin Hodgess
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
University of Houston -- Downtown
e-mail: hodgess@uhdux2.dt.uh.edu

From: David Scott <d.scott@auckland.ac.nz>
To: s-news@wubios.wustl.edu
Subject: [S] Fortran compilers

David Scott writes:

A colleague wishes to have some routines he has developed programmed in
Fortran. The idea is that the work be done on a Windows machine. The
question is then what compiler to use.

Some considerations are:

It would be desirable to be able to call the routines from Splus. I
understand that this means that the Watcom compiler is the one to use, but
maybe Splus 4 allows other compilers. Any comments?

Is Fortran 90 usable or is it necessary to stick with Fortran 77?

The routines would be recompiled on a Sun. Do some compilers deviate from
the standard so that there would be problems doing this?

I would welcome any advice.

David Scott