Re: [S] S-plus and LaTex

Frank E Harrell Jr (fharrell@virginia.edu)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:40:07 -0500

The print.display library Rich Heiberger and I wrote is helpful for
assembling reports in LaTeX in a kind of batch mode. Every
time you run a latex() command you can give it a file name to hold
the output. Then use \input commands in LaTeX. On the Virginia
biostatistics web page (below) under Statistical Computing Tools,
you'll see a 50-page report on using S-Plus and LaTeX to generate
statistical reports with graphics, with automatic table creation using
the summary.formula function in Hmisc and the print.display library.
This all works on PCs using PCTeX and other variants, but don't
know about Sci. Workplace. -Frank

Frank E Harrell Jr
Professor of Biostatistics and Statistics
Director, Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
Dept of Health Evaluation Sciences
University of Virginia School of Medicine
http://www.med.virginia.edu/medicine/clinical/hes/biostat.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: Eusebio <slist@westad.eis.uva.es>
To: S-news@wubios.wustl.edu <S-news@wubios.wustl.edu>
Date: Friday, February 27, 1998 5:01 AM
Subject: [S] S-plus and LaTex

I don't know if this question is properly a question for this e-mail list,
but I think that someone can help me with this matter.

I'm trying to export S-plus (4.0 under Windows NT 4.0 Workstation) outputs
to LaTex format (more concretely I'm using Scientific WorkPlace 2.5 and
3.0). Till know when I want to export graphics, I export them to WMF and
then I insert them in SW. To export a matrix or data.frame I use and
intermediate rtf format.

I've seen some functions in Statlib that export tables and data.frames from
S-Plus to Latex (I think print.display is the latest). What I want to know
is if with this functions I can create automatics outputs in LaTex formats
from Splus (including graphics, tables and the posibility of changing some
dimnames of the tables) or maybe it could be better use something as a DDE
conexion using S-Plus as server.

żDoes anyone know some documentation about de matter?

Sorry if this question is not proper to the list, and thanks in advance.
Eusebio Arenal Gutierrez Tfo: +34 (9)83 423000 ext. 4258
Dpto. Estadistica e I.O. Fax: +34 (9)83 423013
Facultad de Ciencias Email: slist@westad.eis.uva.es
Universidad de Valladolid
Avda. Prado de la Magdalena, s/n.
Valladolid (SPAIN)