Re: [S] I, me, my

John Thaden (jjthaden@life.uams.edu)
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 10:11:17 -0600

I() is the identity function and results in its argument (abund^2) being
treated "as is". This may seem silly, but consider when the argument is a
product: So a regression formula written as response ~ I(abund*height) has
a single predictor, the product of abund and height, but response ~
abund*height has three predictors and might also be written as response ~
abund + height + abund:height. Your formula was probably something like
predictor ~ abund^2. The function lm() was smart enough to interpret this
"as is", and it listed the grammatically safer version in its output.

John Thaden, Biochemist
Department of Geriatrics
Little Rock AR