RE: [S] Importing data from Excel spreadsheets -Reply

Greg Tucker-Kellogg (GTuckerKellogg@genetics.com)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 09:14:32 -0500

If you have to save an Excel file as a CSV, the
feature of being able to import from Excel to
S-Plus is sort of pointless. Anyway, I've had the
same problem as Mr. Campbell, and I don't think
it's memory related (I have 128 MB). I don't know
how file locking under Windows NT works (compared
to UNIX), but S-plus seems to be grabbing a lock on
the excel file and then not releasing it until the
program closes, even though the import is done
quickly. Excel is behaving as if it's blocking on
the lock.

I haven't found a workaround.

Greg

>>> "McDonough, Tim" <Tim_McDonough@amrcorp.com>
03/27/98 08:45am >>>
In Excel I usually "save as" a *.csv file that I
then import into
S-Plus. Because there is no preset filter in the
file type list for
*.csv you have to use the *.* filter.