Re: [S] Possible Statistical Enhancements to S-PLUS

Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:59:40 +0100 (BST)

Wim Kimmerer wrote:

> Regarding features to add to future version of S-Plus, I request that you
> provide a way for users to select a stripped-down version that combines
> functionality (when you need it) with the speed and leanness of Version
> 3.3. I would not consider an upgrade if it demanded more computer than V.
> 4, which I am not using because it is too slow and cumbersome (P-200, 32MB).

I don't see how that can be considered a _statistical_ enhancement.
However, there already exists such a version: try running

set SHOME=c:/spackages/splus4
c:\packages\splus4\cmd\sqpe.exe

(with suitable path changes). The only things you lose are the
command-line editing and interactive graphics: using a suitable shell
will give you the first, and the postscript() and pdf.graph() devices are
quite useful....