RE: [S] statistical procedures to include in Splus

Liu, Jun (junliu@rti.org)
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 11:53:18 -0400

Having the capability to analyze survey data certainly will make S+ more
useable for survey sampling and epidemiology community, plus many social
statistical analysts. However, I don't think it will increase the usage of
S+ dramatically among these group of people unless the data management
capability of S+ will also be greatly improved. The reason that most of
survey organizations (including RTI, the creator of SUDAAN) and government
agencies use SAS has more to do with SAS' data management capability than
anything else. SAS is used mostly for this purpose and so far there hasn't
been any real competition on this aspect. I also happen to think this alone
has made SAS so popular, especially for people who have to deal with larger
amount of data all the time.

Jun Liu, Ph.D.
Statistics Research Division Tel: 919-541-5902
Research Triangle Institute Fax: 919-541-5966
3040 Cornwalls Rd. e-mail: junliu@rti.org
RTP, NC 27709-2194 http://www.rti.org