Re: [S] Re: CART for Survival Data in S-Plus 3.3

Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:37:02 +0100 (BST)

John Oehlert wrote:

> At 05:46 PM 4/10/98 +0200, you wrote:
> >Has anyone done any implementation of CART for Survival Data in S-Plus 3.3
> >for Windows. I have found a UNIX library at statlib only.
>
> At last! I have learned quite a bit by "lurking" around s-news for the
> past few months. I can finally contribute something!
>
> Segal and Wagner have written a program called TSSA (Tree Structured
> Survival Analysis) which runs on S-plus 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 4. I have run the
> program successfully on version 4 but have not been able to get the many of
> the "point and click" graphics options to work. I suspect this is a problem
> with my system configuration and not the program itself.

It is a problem with S-PLUS 4.0. They do work, but re-drawing
screens does not so you do not see the effect. I've reported the bug.

> You can grab the source code from:
>
> http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/S/tssa (Splus for Unix + standalone C)
> http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/SWin/tssa.zip (Splus for Windows)

Note that the program will not run on S-PLUS 3.1 for Windows.

There is also a program known as survcart/CART-SD (the second being
a trademark infringement). This too has been ported to Windows, at

http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/SWin/survcart.zip

Note that this and tssa.zip _are_ on statlib, in directory /DOS/S/SWin,
which is a mirror of http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/SWin.

Finally, examples of the use of each of RPART, tssa and survcart and
comparisons are in the on-line statistical complements to V&R2 available
at

http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/MASS2

and mirrors.