Re: [S] Command for displaying structure and contents of data frames

Alan Zaslavsky (zaslavsk@hcp.med.harvard.edu)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 08:10:07 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Paul Schwarz <Paul.Schwarz@cornell.edu>
> I've been searching for a command that will display the structure and
> contents of a data frame ...

In addition to the 'str' command of Martin Maechler, mentioned by
Christian Keller, there is also the "list.tree" archive, also on
Statlib. The list.tree() function does essentially the same thing as str(),
but with a different display format; it may be mostly a matter
of taste which one you use (although I notice that Martin covers the
tsp structure, which I missed). This can be used for structures more
general than data frames, by the way. (Apologies for the confusing name
list.tree, this was written before the tree modeling functions made their
appearance.)