Re: [S] Possible Statistical Enhancements to S-PLUS

Alberto Murta (amurta@ipimar.pt)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 16:10:20 +0100

At 12:00 22-04-1998 -0800, Don MacQueen wrote:
>>Alberto Murta wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe lots of people in ecological research use TWINSPAN very often,
>>>and everybody is still dependent of the old 1979 fortran program written
>>>by M.O. Hill. The inclusion of TWINSPAN would be a really great
>>>enhancement to S-Plus.
>
>All that is needed here is for someone to take the source code, make it
>into a subroutine instead of a stand-alone, so that the subroutine can be
>dynamically linked, write an S-Plus driver function, test and debug, and
>submit it to statlib.
>
>I guess it's still a bit trickier in Windows than in Unix, but other than
>that...it's been my experience that this sort of thing is pretty quick easy
>to do (of course, the someone has to know fortran--and have the source
>code).
>
>-Don

It is a great suggestion! To who may be interested,the source code is
listed in the program manual:

Hill, M.O.; 1979; "TWINSPAN - a FORTRAN program for arranging
Multivariate Data in an Ordered Two-Way Table by Classification of the
Individuals and Attributes";Ecology and Systematics; Cornell University;
90 pp.

Source code and documentation are also available from Prof. Hugh G.
Gauch Jr., Ecology and Systematics, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
14850.
I am not a FORTRAN programmer, or else I would do it myself.

Alberto

Alberto G. Murta

Institute for Marine and Fisheries Research (IPIMAR)
Department of Marine Resources (DRM)
Avenida Brasilia phone: +351 1 3010814
1400 Lisboa fax: +351 1 3015948
Portugal e-mail: amurta@fc.ul.pt