Re: [S] "Sums of squares", the taxonomy issue again.

Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:01:34 +0100 (BST)

eric.gibson@pharma.Novartis.com wrote:

> Everytime I hear this back and forth arguement about the Type I through
> Type IV sums of squares
> I start asking people whether or not they have ever read Milliken and
> Johnson's book
> "The Analysis of Messy Data Volume I: Designed Experiments" (1992).
> Invariably the answer is no. Since they are both students of Franklin
> Graybill ( argueably
> the father of linear models)

`argueably' indeed (and the subject here seems to me to be ANOVA)

> and they have an impressive record of
> publication in the field of linear
> models, I would highly reccomend it.

Irrespective of the actual merits of the book this seems a most peculiar
argument.

- What has who someone was a student of got to do with the merits of their
work and the clarity of their understanding? Do I have to take
responsibility for the advice of my students years after they
graduated? Is my thesis advisor (who never looked at my thesis)
to be given credit for my books?

- Records of publication conflate quality and quantity.

- There is some evidence value in the fact that none of the respondents
have read it; it indicates that it is not being widely recommended.

BTW, I have read the book, but not bought a copy.