Re: [S] C compiler to use with Splus

Matt Calder (calder@stat.colostate.edu)
Wed, 13 May 1998 11:21:48 -0600 (MDT)

I couldn't let this pass. The easiest way to interface C code (and
Fortran, ASM, Perl, Tcl-Tk, ...) to Splus running under Windows is with
dynamic link libraries (dll's). Writing dll's under 32-bit windows is the
same as writing any other program with a few minor adjustments. The days
of the evil 16-bit dll are gone. The dll has the added advantage that you
can write your functions, write a separate Splus wrapper, a separate
Visual Basic wrapper, ..., and use the same dll. Next time you want that
function in a C program (or a Fortran program, or a ...) it is there
compiled and debugged for you to use. Watcom make fine compilers I am
sure, but even if I had one I would use it to write dll's.

Matt

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Steve Bousquin wrote:

> Last I heard (circa version 3), only Watcom C compilers could be used
> with S-Plus. I do not know if this changed with version 4.
>
> I would appreciate it if you could forward any responses on this to me
> as well.
>
> Steve Bousquin
>
> kemalbk@vax2.concordia.ca wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if the experienced Splus users recommend a specific C compiler. In
> > addition to using the C compiler to execute programs in C, I would like to
> > use it to execute certain subroutines from within Splus. I am currently
> > using Splus 4.0 in a Windows 95 environment.
> >
> > ThanX.
>
> --

> Steve Bousquin
>
> Colorado State University
> Department of Rangeland Ecosystem Science/GDPE
> NR209
> Fort Collins, CO 80523
> USA
>
> sbous@lamar.colostate.edu

/* Matt Calder, Dept. of Statistics, CSU */
/* http://www.stat.colostate.edu/~calder */