RE: [S] C compiler to use with Splus

Matt Calder (calder@stat.colostate.edu)
Fri, 15 May 1998 10:23:23 -0600 (MDT)

Ed,
About a year ago I spent many long nights trying to get dlls from
the cygnus compiler to work with Splus 3.3 (using genetic thunking) all to
no avail. It was a long and frustrating ordeal. One disadvantage of using
the cygnus compiler (if it works at all) is that if you want to distribute
your dll you will have to also distribute the cygwin.dll (I think that's
the name it's been a while). This file was over a megabyte when I was
using it, probably larger now.
If you want a free C (no C++) compiler that will generate a dll
that can be used in Splus 4.0 (or 3.3 using generic thunking), try the LCC
compiler. This is a very nice command line C compiler available from:

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/

This compiler will also produce Win32 programs (i.e. Windows, Dialog
Boxes, etc...).

Matt

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Ed Callahan wrote:

> Has anyone had luck using the free Cygnus C/C++ compiler
> (http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/) to create a dll that could be
> accessed with S-Plus 4 or 4.5? What are the tricks?
>
> Ed

> Edward Callahan
> Environmental Statistics
>
> callahan@envstat.com
> http://www.envstat.com

/* Matt Calder, Dept. of Statistics, CSU */
/* http://www.stat.colostate.edu/~calder */