RE: [S] C compiler to use with Splus

Ed Callahan (lists@envstat.com)
Sat, 16 May 1998 00:04:53 -0500

Matt -

Before trying to figure out yet another compiler I decided to try my hand at
integrating the latest Cygnus C compiler (19.1) and S-Plus 4.5. It seems
that the latest Cygnus compiler can be used to create dll's compatible with
the dll.load and .C functions ...

I put together a simple first example that works for me and others can
emulate if they like. Hopefully Cygnus won't fail on more complicated
programs. Instead of posting my example source files here they can be
retrieved by anonymous ftp from ftp.envstat.com in the file /ftp/Cygnus.zip.
I will have to admit that I have no understanding of the details, I simply
imitated an example of creating relocatable dll's that I found on the Cygnus
web site (http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/). Thanks to Dr. Ripley for
the tip about *relocatable* dll's.

There is still the problem of needing the cygwin.dll file when using the
Cygnus compiler, and LCC may otherwise be a better compiler, but I already
use the Cygnus compiler so this is easier for me for now.

Ed

Edward Callahan
Environmental Statistics

callahan@envstat.com