Re: [S] x axis limits on barchart -- Trellis documentation

Christian Keller (ckeller@aicos.com)
Wed, 27 May 1998 11:37:41 +0200

On Tue, 26 May 1998, I wrote:

> I was very much interested in this solution. But I was
> wondering where this argument, i.e. 'axs' is documented.
>
> Neither in help(trellis.args) nor in Trellis Graphics
> User's Manual (Versions 2.0 & 2.1) I can find any
> references.
>
> Can anybody point me to the appropriate documentation
> (if there is one)?

I've got the following responses:

>From Jens Oehlschlaegel <oehl@Psyres-Stuttgart.DE>:
>> Looks like this argument is not documented at all.
>> I couldn't find it, even after knowing that it is a
>> trellis.args scale argument.
>> You should report this to MATHSOFT at bugs@statsci.com

I'm not sure if this would help very much!
I think MathSoft is very busy with other things at the moment
instead of having time to correct known bugs, or in this case,
lack of documentation.

>From Prof Brian D Ripley <ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk>:
>> I'm sure there is not, like a lot of Trellis. You have to
>> read render.trellis....
>> I have only found it by examining render.trellis. There is
>> quite a lot of Trellis that is undocumented (and some does
>> not work).

I'm sure that not many S-Plus users will follow this approach,
i.e. stepping through the source code of S-functions when they
are looking for help.
In addition, render.trellis has almost 500 lines of code but at
least there are some useful comments.

>From Douglas Bates <bates@stat.wisc.edu>:
>> I don't know where it is documented if at all.

I don't want to start a controversy against Trellis but I think
it would help many users to use Trellis functions much more
efficiently if such things were better documented.

Christian Keller