Re: [S] Windows Metafiles in S-Plus 3.3 for Windows 3.1

Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:44:48 +0100 (BST)

This reply was sent to S-news: it was in reply to a private message but
was not even copied to me. I would very much prefer than people did not
do that.

> From: Rick Bilonick <rab@nauticom.net>
> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 98 11:07:59
> Subject: Re: [S] Windows Metafiles in S-Plus 3.3 for Windows 3.1
>
> The postscript function works well under Unix, but it definitely does
> NOT create legal EPS files under Windows 3.1.

Yes, but does that matter? I do have somewhere a revised preamble that
makes it legal EPS, but not always quite the output you expect. On the
other hand, I find the ps postscript() creates can be included by my
favourite tools.

> To create EPS files, I have to use win.printer and use a Windows
> Postscript printer driver.

You can only do that if you can find one that creates legal EPS files.
This is a problem on NT4, I gather, and only recently resolved for
level-2 postscript only.

> This works EXCEPT that I haven't been able
> to control the size of the EPS file.

Surely not the size of the file? That is its length in bytes.

> You can control the size of the
> graphic within the EPS file (using the win.printer options), but the
> size of the EPS file appears to be limited to the various page sizes
> (letter, legal, etc.). At least I haven't found a way to control the
> EPS size. This isn't fatal but it is a nuisance.

Whatever is `the EPS size'? The only thing that I know of that matters
is the bounding box, and that is easy to change, either by hand or by
a tool such as Russell Lang's epstool or GSView. I did explain that!