Re: [S] Windows Metafiles in S-Plus 3.3 for Windows 3.1

Duncan Murdoch (dmurdoch@mast.queensu.ca)
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:09:41 GMT

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:44:48 +0100 (BST), you wrote in message
<199806181544.QAA01641@toucan.stats.ox.ac.uk>:

>> You can control the size of the
>> graphic within the EPS file (using the win.printer options), but the
>> size of the EPS file appears to be limited to the various page sizes
>> (letter, legal, etc.). At least I haven't found a way to control the
>> EPS size. This isn't fatal but it is a nuisance.
>
>Whatever is `the EPS size'? The only thing that I know of that matters
>is the bounding box, and that is easy to change, either by hand or by
>a tool such as Russell Lang's epstool or GSView. I did explain that!

The problem with the buggy Postscript device driver for Win95 (NT4
too?) is that it clears the whole page to white before drawing. You
can change the bounding box, but when you include the graphic, it will
wipe out a large area of text above or below it.

I've found that I can fix this by manually editing the file, but I
wish I didn't have to. For other people's reference, here's what I
do:

With the device set to produce EPS, the page starts something like
this:

> %%BeginPageSetup
> userdict begin /pagesave save def end mysetup concat colspRefresh : 1.000 1.000 1.000 sco 0 0 2550 3300 rf ;
> %%EndPageSetup

If you delete the last 4 numbers and the rf macro, it won't clear the
page:

> %%BeginPageSetup
> userdict begin /pagesave save def end mysetup concat colspRefresh : 1.000 1.000 1.000 sco ;
> %%EndPageSetup

You still need to fix up the bounding box, but GSView can do that for
you.

Duncan Murdoch