Re: [S] e-mail address moved from s-news to boun

J. Philip Miller (phil@wubios.wustl.edu)
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 07:52:54 -0500 (CDT)

> My address keeps being moved to Bounces@wubios.wustl.edu and I have to keep
> re-subscribing to s-news. This is also happening to 2 of my work colleagues.
>
> This has only just started happening over the last couple of weeks and prior
> to that I have been a member of the s-news newsgroup for over 2 years.
>
> Has anybody got any suggestions.

I wrote one of your co-workers yesterday about this. Mail keeps being
returned marked as your account is invalid. Rather than just deleting your
from the list of subscribers without any notice, you are subscribed to the
bounces list to provide a periodic note to indicate what has happened. Since
this happens to others, I am posting back to the list, but generally this is
not an appropriate topic for posting on the list. You (and others with this
problem) need to have a serious talk with the administrators of your computing
system to see how you can have a reliable mail system. Note that this happens
only if a hard (not temporary) error message is generated by your system.

Here is a portion of one of the returned messages:

o / o / o / o /
--Cut-here-------X---------------X---------------X---------------X----
o \ o \ o \ o \
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:02:20 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON>
To: <owner-s-news@wubios.wustl.edu>
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown (Name server: bridgeway.co.uk: host not found)
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)

The original message was received at Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:00:22 -0500 (CDT)
from

<newsman@statsci.co.uk>
<Alison_Riding@adas.co.uk>
<jsendak@bridgeway.co.uk>
<gvera@bridgeway.co.uk>
<dlaw@bridgeway.co.uk>

550 <newsman@statsci.co.uk>... Host unknown (Name server: statsci.co.uk: host not found)
550 <Alison_Riding@adas.co.uk>... Host unknown (Name server: adas.co.uk: host not found)
550 <jsendak@bridgeway.co.uk>,<gvera@bridgeway.co.uk>,<dlaw@bridgeway.co.uk>... Host unknown (Name server: bridgeway.co.uk: host not found)
Message delivered to mailing list s-news-owner

----- Original message follows -----

[text deleted]
o / o / o / o /
--Cut-here-------X---------------X---------------X---------------X----
o \ o \ o \ o \

-phil
s-news owner

> Thanking you in anticipation
>
> Regards
>
> Debbie
> ----------
> From: sinclair, andrew (MIP London)
> To: DLAW; JSENDAK; s-news
> Subject: [S] trellis postscript file from within
> Date: 07 July 1998 13:10
>
> I am trying to produce trellis plots as postscript
> files from within a loop, with spectacular (& frustrating)
> lack of success. Can anyone help ?
>
> e.g.
>
> ### does not produce a postscript file (WHY ?!)
> for ( i in 1:1) {
> postscript(file="test1.ps", print.it=F, onefile=F)
> xyplot(rnorm(100) ~ I(1:100))
> dev.off()
> }
>
> ### does produce a postscript file
> for ( i in 1:1) {
> postscript(file="test1.ps", print.it=F, onefile=F)
> plot( I(1:100), rnorm(100))
> dev.off()
> }
>
> ### also does produce postscript file
> postscript(file="test1.ps", print.it=F, onefile=F)
> xyplot(rnorm(100) ~ I(1:100))
> dev.off()
>

> Thanks for any help,
>
> Andrew
>
> PS I am running Splus V3.4.1 under HP-UX 10.20 on an HP712.
>

> ____________________
>
> Andrew Sinclair
> ED & F Man Investment Products
> Sugar Quay
> Lower Thames Street
> London EC3R 6DU
> tel : 0171 285 2089
> fax : 0171 285 2001
> email : asinclair@edfman.co.uk

     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
       Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis MO 63110
	  phil@wubios.WUstl.edu - (314) 362-3617 [362-2693(FAX)]
		    http://www.biostat.wustl.edu/~phil