RE: [S] OdbcConnection parameter in import.data function.

Frank Biedermann (frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 14:47:29 +0930

On Wednesday, July 22, 1998 3:27 AM, Norm Olsen
[SMTP:olsenn@ratfish.pbs.dfo.ca] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know how to use the "OdbcConnection" parameter of the
> "import.data" function when connecting to ODBC data sources? The S-PLUS
> Programmer's Guide states that this is an encrypted character string
> (presumably specifying the server, user id, password, etc.) but no clue is
> offered as to how to obtain this encryption.

Norm,

I had the same question a few months ago, however I did not get any answers.
The password string does not need to be encrypted - I've tried it and it
doesn't
seem to mind, however, it would be nice if someone who knows how to
encrypt it would share the secret.

BTW, in case you didn't know, the connect string should be of the form:

"ODBC;DATABASE=dbname;UID=username;PWD=password;"

Regards,

Frank Biedermann
Research Officer (Statistics)
Senior Secondary Assessment Board of South Australia
ph: (+61) 8 8372 7439
fax: (+61) 8 8372 7438
e-mail: frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au