Re: [S] OdbcConnection parameter in import.data function.

Norm Olsen (normo@ratfish.pbs.dfo.ca)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:40:56 -0700

Thanks to Frank Biedermann for providing an answer to my question about the
OdbcConnection parameter of the import.data function. His connect string
works nicely except that, when I connect to Microsoft SQL Server, I must
also supply the data source name in the connect string. I don't know if
this is also true for other types of ODBC connections. Anyway, here is an
example of a complete "import.data" call that works using an ODBC connection
to Microsoft SQL Server:

import.data(FileName="Observer",
FileType="ODBC",
DataFrame="SlopeRockfish",

OdbcConnection="ODBC;DATABASE=Observer;UID=olsenn;PWD=secret;DSN=Observer",
OdbcSqlQuery="Select * from slope_rockfish_1998")

As Frank points out, it would be nice to know how to provide the encrypted
string in order to conceal user ids and passwords.

Regards,
Norm