Re: [S] MLE's with censored data

whitman@lexmark.com
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:28:22 -0400

Perhaps I was a little informal in my use of terms. I have a data set
of lifetimes from a population. I would like to fit the lifetimes to a
lognormal distribution, and get MLE's of the parameters. When using the
parametric survival menu in the gui portion of S+, it seems to require two
data sets. I am not interested in comparing two populations. I only want
distribution parameters estimates for a single data set. Apparently, S+
will only plot the data and give a report if I give it two data sets, not
just one. In the report, it is not clear where the MLE's for the two
distributions are. I tried to give it a dummy regression variable. That
works for getting Kaplan-Meier estimates, but does not work for parametric
survival. It still gives me an error. I have talked to technical support
about this problem. They have been able to duplicate it, but to date, have
not been able to come up with an answer. Also, they suggested I use s-news
to see if anyone out there had a solution.
I would appreciate any input you can give me.

Thanks a lot,

Charlie Whitman

Prof Brian D Ripley <ripley%stats.ox.ac.uk@interlock.lexmark.com> on
07/23/98 05:40:13 PM