Re: [S] several questions

Alvaro Aballe Villero (alvaro.aballe@uca.es)
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:04:13 +0200

At 00:55 29/07/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Here's my question. When I try to create a histogram of just the first column
>(Months), I'm not sure how to do it.

hist(residence.data[,1])

Use [row,column] to extract just a element from a data.frame or a matrix;
use [row,] to refer to a row and [,column] to this column. "column" or
"row" can be its name or its number in the matrix or data.frame. If you use
the name, put it in quotes.

>Also, did I have to sort the first column of data first before using the
graph
>function from the GRAPH toolbar function?

I don't think so. Why do not you try to see the difference?

>Finally, if I want to print out the first column of data in a compact space,
>how do I do this at the > prompt?

I do not know because I don't need that, but perhaps you can find a clue if
you look the help file of "print" in "Language Reference".

I am sorry for not being able to help more.

Álvaro Aballe Villero
Dpto. Ciencias de los Materiales e Ingeniería
Metalúrgica y Química Inorgánica. Facultad de Ciencias.
Apartado 40 - 11510, Puerto Real (Cádiz) SPAIN.
Tel.:956830828
Fax:956834924