Re: [S] Compile or Encript of functions

Anthony Rossini (rossini@biostat.washington.edu)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:34:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, PT Quants Group Dir wrote:

> If I cannot keep certain business logic away from prying eyes, then I cannot
> use Splus for any proprietray strategies or any external apps. That will be a
> major pain.

I think you are stuck with C/C++ or similar applications, then. Even
something like Java can be decompiled. Though Microsloth has probably
come up with some interpreted/scripting language which can be
appropriately hidden.

I believe that Matlab or Mathcad or something similar like that would
write out C/Fortran code.

If the load is low, you could always feed information back to your
in-house server or S code (and run the process locally, rather than at
your client's).

So I think that the answer is "No.", unless you consider some variant of
my last suggestion viable. (Buy them a computer and take away the
console :-)?)

best,
-tony

--