Re: [S] Symbols in graph

Alan Zaslavsky (zaslavsk@hcp.med.harvard.edu)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 21:45:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Josť Ailton Alencar andrade wrote:
> How do I put symbols(greek letters) in graph titles, using directly
> the "plot" function?

This is a definite FAQ - shows up about once every year. Here are several
solutions:

(1) for a single Greek character: use the "symbol" font (Font 13 on Unix
systems, I don't know about the PCs).

(2) if it suits your needs and you are on a PC, use the graph editing
features.

(3) if you need to mix things up in one label, use my "postscriptfonts"
archive from Statlib. THese functions allow you to create simple to
moderately complex labels using a string with escape sequences for change
of font, super and subscripts, change of size, etc. Takes some fiddling
to make it beautiful but it works entirely within S-plus.

(4) use the "psfrag" utilities (there are a few variations around) that
work with LaTeX or TeX, so you can create the label in those languages and
have them appear within a PostScript plot. THe way to go for truly
high-quality typesettnig, but requries some additional steps.