Re: [S] S-PLUS 4.5 Network Edition

Andrew Bruce (andrew@statsci.com)
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:14:05 -0700

Dear Georges,

I forwarded you message to our academic sales representative, Dave Remer.
We have a student version of S-PLUS and would love to help get this into
your program.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me. Otherwise,
except to hear from Dave in the next few days (or feel free to contact
him directly: dremer@statsci.com, 1-800-569-0123 x 247).

Thanks for your support!
Andrew

At 11:56 AM 9/21/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
> I would like to thank you and the technical staff who helped our
>staff to get the Network Edition of S-Plus working in time for our
>course to start.
>
> Now I have another request! The course I am teaching is a Ph.D.-level
>course in statistics for students in Psychology. It is meant to be the
>course that gives students the level of expertise they will need for
>working on their theses.
>
> SPSS has grown deep roots in these students' background and culture and
>I would like to take advantage of S-Plus's new GUI to wean them from SPSS
>and to attract them to a language that has a much greater potential.
>The students have access to S-Plus in the Psychology Computer Lab in
>which we have installed the network edition but at the first class there
>was a great deal of interest in purchasing versions they could use at home.
>If it were possible to arrange to sell a student version of S-Plus for
>a price similar to what the university charges for an individual license
>for SAS or SPSS (I think each is approx. 50 to 70 $Cdn per year) , then
>I would expect broad adoption of S-Plus by these psychologists with
>a good potential for its use to gain a foothold with the psychology
>profession in Canada (York, with approx. 250 graduate students, has the
>largest graduate programme in psychology in Canada).
>
> So I am writing to enquire about pricing for a student version and
>about possible site licensing arrangements.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Georges Monette email: georges@mathstat.yorku.ca
>Department of Mathematics and Statistics Tel: (416)-736-2100 ext. 77164
>and Institute for Social Research Tel: (416)-736-5061
>York University Fax: (416)-736-5749
>4700 Keele Street home page: http://www.math.yorku.ca/~georges
>Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3

Andrew G. Bruce E-mail: andrew@statsci.com
Senior Product Marketing Manager Tel: (206) 283-8802 x 248
MathSoft, Inc. Fax: (206) 283-6310
1700 Westlake Ave. N, Suite 500 Cell: (206) 310-9994
Seattle, WA 98109.9891