Re: [S] Summary of braces { }

Jean Adams (Jean_Adams@usgs.gov)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 09:55:26 -0600

I believe my situation is very similar to Eric Gibson's. I use
WinEdit for editing S-PLUS programs, cutting and pasting commands in
the S-PLUS commands window. After reading Eric's summary, in which
Chuck Taylor and Brian Ripley recommended trying the script window, I
decided to give it a shot.

Initially it was a bit awkward for me, simply because I wasn't used to
it. Cursor movement and highlighting felt different. The commands
and output appeared in the lower half of the script window instead of
in the command window. I missed the color syntax highlighting of
WinEdit, but I thought I might be able to get over that since I could
now click on the run icon instead of hitting Ctrl-c Ctrl-v all the
time. Then, S-PLUS crashed, and I lost everything in the script file.

For me, this is unacceptable. S-PLUS crashes often enough for me that
the occasional loss of unsaved material in a script file would waste a
lot of my time and effort (if not send me to the funny farm). I
appreciate the suggestion to try the script window, but for now, I
will stick to WinEdit. The color syntax highlighting comes in handy
for editing a variety of programs (for me that's primarily S-PLUS,
SQL, and SAS). That means I don't have to relearn the quirks of a
different editor every time I switch programming hats. And the
display of the cursor's location (line and column numbers) is great
for browsing and editing data stored as large text files. As for
speeding up the process, I guess I'll have to settle for an increase
in brace {} usage.

JVA

Jean V. Adams U.S. Geological Survey
e-mail: jean_adams@usgs.gov Great Lakes Science Center
phone: (734) 214-9307 1451 Green Road
FAX: 734-994-8780 Ann Arbor, MI 48105-2899 USA