[S] Pie diagrams anyone?

Bill Venables (wvenable@attunga.stats.adelaide.edu.au)
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 09:42:44 +1030

I received the following very curious personal email today (from
an address somewhere in the UK, it seems).

N> Dear. Mr. Venables,

N> I have been recently converted to being an S-Plus user,
N> and as an avid fan of pie diagrams I was gravley concerned
N> to find some hostility from you aimed towards them in your
N> set of notes.

N> Please can you explain this please?

Of course I am half inclined to think that it must be a leg-pull,
but I am not completely convinced.

The answer is yes, I do rather look down upon pie diagrams as an
ineffective device and something that can be easily bettered, but
also as something so typical of the abuses of statistics that
Disraeli so justifiably ridiculed. Nevertheless I am curious to
know what other people think about them. Am I alone in this?

Irrespective of my opinion of their value I do support their
inclusion in S-PLUS, though. After all managers, advertising
executives, lawyers, politicians and their kind have as much
right to use S-PLUS as any of us... :-)

Bill.