[S] BOUNCE s-news@wubios.wustl.edu: Admin request: /^subject:\s

Jean Adams (Jean_Adams@usgs.gov)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 08:19:15 -0700

From: "Biggerstaff, Bradley J." <bkb5@cdc.gov>
To: "'s-news@wubios.wustl.edu'" <s-news@wubios.wustl.edu>
Subject: help functionality in dialog box
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:48:01 -0500

S-news members:

S-Plus 4.0, Release 3 for Windows 95. Network version. (Update to S-Plus
4.5, Release 2 within the week, I understand.)

A couple of questions:

(1) I've written a menu addition for our local library from which users may
use locally written functions with dialog boxes, rather than having to learn
the command language. (They're very impressed that S-Plus has this
capability, by the way, and don't, by and large, want to use it otherwise.)
I have on that menu an item that links the user to the library's Windows
help pages, but I'd like to be able to use the Help Button on the dialog box
for the particular function being used to access directly that function's
help page. I tried the HelpString argument to guiCreate for the relevant
Group, but to no avail. Has someone a way I can do this?

(2) I'd like to add a checkbox to the Logistic Regression dialog box, on
the Results page, say, that will run and print out a local function to
compute the Hosmer-Lemeshow goodness-of-fit test. I presently have that as
a menu item in our local library, so users just save the output from the
logistic regression fit (glm, of course) to a glm object then input that
object into the dialog box and specify relelvant parameters. Much neater
would be just make those options appear on S-Plus's Logistic Regression
dialog box, with the appropriate options. Searching around the various
S-Plus directories, both with and without the Object Browser looking for
MenuItems, I'm unable to find where to modify the S-Plus's menu items or how
to use guiModify() because I don't know how that dialog/function is named by
S-Plus to identify it for modification. I imagine it's simply a matter of
knowing the Name and particular Properties for that diaglog, but that's
exactly what I can't find. I could not find what I need in the manuals,
though I'd not be surprised to find I didn't look hard enough.

(3) Presently, using a .First file in which this local library is attached
(at start-up) and then the .First.lib function within that library is
executed and the menu item is finally added appears to over-write the S-Plus
menu bar, so that only this local library's menu is available. This does
not happen when the library is attached after start-up, as the S-Plus menu
is intact and the local library's menu item is included and works. Is this
particular to version 4.0 (r. 3)? Will that problem go away when we install
version 4.5 (Professional)? [I saw a reference to this problem in Frank
Harrell's .First.lib function for Hmisc regarding "version 4.x".]
Naturally, having a user start-up with the local library attached and the
menu item for the local library seamlessly inserted is the goal, without the
user having to attach the library directly.

Thanks for your help,
brad

Brad Biggerstaff, Ph.D.
National Center for Infectious Diseases
Division of Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases
P.O. Box 2087, Fort Collins, CO 80522-2087 USA
(970) 221-6473 bkb5@cdc.gov