[S] using apply with a matrix

whitman@lexmark.com
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:21:36 -0500

I am using S-PLUS version 4.5 with Windows 95. I would like to use the apply
function between two vectors, or equivalently, between two marices. I have two
matrices, A and B as follows:

A<-matrix(1:25,ncol=5)

B<-matrix(rep(1,25),ncol=5)

I would like to consider A a matrix of lifetimes, and B a matrix of censoring
indicators (in this case no censoring). I would like to use the apply function
to take the first columns of A and B and use the function surv.fit on them, and
then repeat this for each column. I can then get out vectors of the
corresponding survival probabilities, times, etc for each column of A and B. I
would also like to apply my own likelihood function by columns as described
above.

Does anyone know the proper syntax for using apply as above, especially for user
defined functions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie Whitman

---------------------- Forwarded by Charles Whitman/Lex/Lexmark on 11/20/98

Charles Whitman