- [Jan. 6] As promised, the photocopies have been left on the table for you in the grad student mail room. I have also updated the syllabus to say March 16th as the (tentative) date for the second test.
- [Jan. 12] I have posted a "review" schedule (in alphabetical order) for the upcoming weeks. Please have a close look asap. This is still a time of "shopping" for students, so if you do end up dropping the course, kindly let me know so I can let the student(s) behind you know as well. Thanks!
- [Jan. 12] [PDF] - my summary of chapter one of [V], for your reference.
- [Jan. 23] Here, finally, is [that proof] I promised to write out for you. Apologies for the format.
- [Jan. 27] Some notes on the norm question: [JPG]
- [Feb. 7] Office hours on Thursday are cancelled. Also, during
office hours yesterday, the following came up:
- Regarding the quantile M-estimator, $x^-=-\min(x,0)=\max(-x,0)$ - I had it the wrong way around in the lecture, I've been told. Check it should match the median estimator when $p=0.5$.
- Leibniz integral rule is a useful thing when taking derivatives!
- I was asked to have a look at the Huber estimator consistency question, I haven't yet had time to solve it.
- [Feb. 23] I have marked the tests and have posted solutions. The average, I believe, was 82%. Today, I will also update the coverage for the course, and post some additional readings and homeworks.
- [March 15] I am booking the final for Tuesday, March 18th at 10am. I will let you know if I get a room for this time/date as soon as I hear back.
- [March 20] I have updated the review schedule today. Also, I now realize that I completely forgot to post homework for the March 16th lecture. Therefore, once I do post it (which will hopefully be soon), that homework will not be part of the material you are responsible for for your test. You will still be responsible for the lecture portion.
- [April 12] Office hours are cancelled tomorrow due to illness.
- [April 17] Office hours today are cancelled due to illness.