Back to Tom Salisbury's Home Page
MATH 3280 3.00AF (Fall 2013)
Mathematics of Life Contingencies I
Announcements and documents will be posted here as they
- Information about exam results and grades are posted
- The final exam was 3 hours.
A formula sheet (linked to below) was provided.
You were responsible for the material covered in class, with the following
- Actuarial present value and the a or A notation for
- Secondary notation for survivorship groups (p. 16 of the scanned notes)
or last survivor statuses (bottom of p. 29 of the notes)
- Harmonic/Balducci interpolation
- Kolmogorov equations
- Textbook: Actuarial Mathematics for Life Contingencies by Dickson, Hardy, Waters.
The solutions manual is purely optional.
- (Please draw the following to the attention of other actuarial
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics hosts a yearly awards
ceremony recognizing student achievements. The November 2013 ceremony
will recognize student achievements during the preceding academic
year (2012-2013). Starting this year, the department will acknowledge
York students who have successfully passed examinations held by the
Society of Actuaries or the Casualty Actuarial Society. Students are
encouraged to notify the department about any such exams they have passed,
by sending an e-mail to Ms. Susan Rainey at
Students should clearly indicate their
If notifications are received in time, exam results for the period
Sept. 1, 2012 - August 31, 2013 will be acknowledged
in the awards ceremony program. Earlier results will also be included,
if space permits.
- student number
- name(s) of exam(s) passed
- date of exam(s).
Documents and links
The following are on reserve in Steacie library:
- Our textbook (Dickson et al)
- Actuarial Mathematics by Bowers et al (last year's textbook)
- Solution manual to Bowers et al